Usa Picks Up Three New Drama Series

Hollywood backlot moments

USA Network may be the No. 1 basic-cable network for the seventh year running, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t want to up it’s game when it comes to original programming. On Wednesday USA announced that it had given the green light to three new drama pilots, including one from “Burn Notice” creator Matt Nix. “These pilots illustrate our continued commitment to creating the next evolution of powerful original dramas for which USA is well known,” said Chris McCumber, the network’s president, in a news release. “This particular mix of dramas comes from some of the top writers and producers in the industry, each of whom brings a distinct point of view and unique talent for developing high-stakes story lines and compelling characters.” The announcement that Nix has a new show in the works comes hot on the heels of the September series finale of “Burn Notice.”In its seven years on air, Burn Notice was a huge hit for USA. In 2009 it became the most-watched scripted series ever on basic cable in the coveted 18-49 demographic. It was nominated for multiple Emmys over the years. FALL TV 2013: Watch the trailers In September Nix told The Times , “I have another show at USA — a pilot — hopefully it’ll go to series but you never know, and I’m acutely conscious of how lucky I was to have something like ‘Burn Notice’ my first time out. I know firsthand not everything is successful and you really have to savor the things that are.” Nix’s new project is titled “Complications” and it’s about a jaded suburban ER doctor who saves a child’s life during a drive-by shooting, killing one of the assailants in the process. It turns out, however, that the boy’s life has been marked and the doctor makes it his mission to protect him. The second pilot to get the go is “The Novice,” about a recent college grad who, thanks to the sour economy, turns to a life of crime to support himself and his family. It was created by Joe and Tony Gayton ( “Hell on Wheels” ).

Ives Galarcep: Two years after Mexican reign supposedly began, it is the USA wearing CONCACAF’s crown

Things started to really change from the start of 2013, when Mexicos own struggles began. El Tri failed to win any of its first five qualifiers, while the USA shook off a Hex-opening loss to Honduras to eventually take over the group. For us, it wasnt a shaky start, Howard said. It was a tough loss on a hot day in Honduras, and it was only one game. After that match we still had nine to go and we hadnt played a home game yet. It was all part of the process. The U.S. team hit its stride this summer, eventually taking control of the qualifying group while Mexicos struggles continued. The capper for Howard and the USA was the latest 2-0 victory over El Tri, which came last month. Fridays win versus Jamaica didn’t just help the USA clinch first place in the group on a night Mexico needed a dream bicycle kick from Raul Jimenez just to take fourth place, and have a chance to qualify for the World Cup via a playoff. The U.S. win also marked the Americans’ fifth qualifying shutout in a row for a perfect 5-0 Hex at home. For me, and for Brad (Guzan) and the rest of the boys in the back, that stat means more than anything, Howard said. Without that foundation you cant move forward, and weve set the bar real high.

USA Gymnastics ‘Disappointed’ in Racist Remark

Italy’s Carlotta Ferlito apologized Tuesday on Twitter for comments she made at the world championships in Belgium. After fellow Italian Vanessa Ferrari and Ferlito finished fourth and fifth on balance beam just behind Biles Ferlito said with a laugh, “I told Vane that next time we’ll have our skin black also so we can win, too.” Biles won the all-around title earlier in the week, the first black gymnast to become world champion. At last year’s London Games, Gabby Douglas became the first black woman to win the Olympic all-around title. On Tuesday, Ferlito tweeted, “I want to apologize with the Americans girls. I didn’t want to sound rude or racist. I love Simone and I’m a huge fan of USA gymnastics.” She then added, “I’ve made a mistake, I’m not perfect … I didn’t think about what I was saying. I’m just a human. I’m so so sorry.” In trying to explain Ferlito’s remarks, a federation spokesman may have further inflamed the issue. A post on Facebook by “Federazione Ginnastica d’Italia,” which links to the federation’s page on the social networking site, attributes different athletes’ abilities to race. David Ciaralli, the federation spokesman, acknowledged to the Chicago Tribune that he wrote the post. “Possibly in saying this, I made a mistake, and I am sorry,” Ciaralli told the Tribune. “What I said was my thoughts, not the official thoughts of the federation.” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny still called for an explanation. “USA Gymnastics is disappointed by the recent comments made by Carlotta Ferlito and apparently by the Italian Gymnastics Federation,” Penny said in a statement.